Wednesday 30 May 2012

Farm Day

May 26th to 27th saw farmers across Australia open their gates to city folk to better create an understanding of where the food and fibre we use and consume comes from. Organisers painstakingly matched willing farmers with keen urbanites to make sure that everyones needs and requests were catered for.
I put up my hand for Farm Day after someone in a Facebook group I belong to gave an urgent call out for land owners and managers to participate. At that stage there were way more city people than country people wanting to take part. But after a bit of a hiccup though, my plans to host a family had to make a sudden change. But alls well that ends well. The venue was shifted and everything was back on track. After their own application to Farm Day mysteriously went unresponded to, Lakefield Station thankfully bailed me out.
The organisers at the Farm Day office sent me and email to notify me of the family I'd been matched with, a mother, Leonie, and her two children. We contacted each other via email and as the days grew closer I got more and more excited.
Finally the day arrived.
Damian and I moving had me in total chaos. All organised of course. After dropping Diamond the horse off at where I am agisting the horses, Damian and I unloaded all the gear off the back of my toyota, Damian then took me shopping and after refuelling I was continuing on my way and Damian on his. I had hoped to reach Lakfield at smoko time before Leonie and her kids arrived but by the time I got down there it was already midday and they had beated me there.
We quickly had lunch and then unloaded Capone, my bull, off the float. He was quite happy to finally be off the float and make some new friends. He didn't even let me pat him goodbye.
Next thing you know, Lakefield had an influx of children as it was Kirra's birthday party. All the kids, Leonie and her two children and I all headed off to visit a sinkhole and some rock formations. It was nice and cool exploring around. The kids scratched their names and stick figures into rocks on a red earth flat while Leonie's boy smashed ant mounds. When we got back to the house I got the dreaded news that Lacey, my little dog, had buggered off. My friend Sarah was looking after her for the weekend and had spent the last hour and a half trying to look for her till she gave up and left a message for me at Lakefield while I was out with Leonie and all the kids.
I unhooked the horse float and lead-footed it all the way to Mataranka to help look for my cheeky dog. Three calls of my "special" call (only I am able to warble to create this "special" call) and Lacey appeared out of the scrub. I thanked and apologised Sarah for her troubles and headed back to Lakefield.
While I was gone all the kids had water bomb fights, Leonie's kids had a go at riding a horse and dinner was in the process of being cooked. During my abscence we also scaled down in children by two. But dinner was still crowded, but in a good way. Some relatives of Garry were staying and the grader driver and his wife also came over for tea. There is was also Safitri, an Indonesian university student, who cooked nasi goreng as part of the evenings meal. Soon the night was over and everyone headed to bed. I was so thankful to be able to sleep in a bed rather than the side of the road. I slept like a log.
In the morning, Leonie, her kids, Safitri and I vaccinated, tagged and recorded the poddies. It took a while to convince the kids to stop jumping all over the hay bales and have a go at this little activity. They got to have another crack at riding the horses again too until smoko.
Then Leonie got to have her go on a horse. She, Chelsea, Tahlia and Saifitri cut out all of the weaners by horse from the stud cattle with Michelle and I on the ground. Then the three horse riders rode off and we didn't see them for another half an hour. When they returned it was lunch time. This time we had even more people come and eat as a lady, Sal, from a nearby property came to visit and also brang her Indonesian university students with her. There was plenty of food to go round as well as discussion.
After cleaning up from lunch, Leonie, all three Indonesians and I went out to start walking some cattle up a lane. The students all got to have a go at riding on the quad bike pushing the cattle up. When we pushed them as far as time would permit (closing the gates behind us of course) we headed back but at Cockatoo Bore Leonie spotted something and next thing you know she's running and diving across the flat with only loud squeals to be heard. She had caught a ginger coloured pig.
When we caught up with Sal, she informed us that the piglet had lice. The Indonesian's stayed with her as they wanted to see meat get processed, station style and Leonie and I continued on.
Soon it was time to pack and say our goodbyes. I enjoyed playing part host to my Farm Day family. Leonie wants to come back! It seems they all enjoyed their time too.
So for anyone out there who is a property owner and liked the sound of that, there is always Farm Day next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment