Sunday 3 February 2013

Happy Anniversary

This year marks 10 years for me in the Northern Territory. I've seen some good times. I've seen some bad. I've been knocked out by horses and cattle. I've broken my back. I think at one point I may have even broken my leg. I've been bogged in mud. I've been in a chopper doing a bit of cattle work. I've been from the edge of the Kimberleys to the edge of the Barkly Tablelands and everywhere in between. I end some days covered in blood. I end some days covered in dirt or mud. I end some days covered in oil and grease. I've swum in croc infested waterways. I've cut up countless cows and bullocks for beef. I've processed over 70,000 breeder cows across 12 different stations. I've raised approximately 80 poddy calves. I've chained srcub with a D9. I've kept a 700km square property ticking over. I've fought dozens of fires. And I learnt early on that there is a million different ways to skin a cat and that no one skins a cat the same way. There's not one part of me that ever regrets coming up here and hardly coming home. I've done it all and had a ball.
I've met some fantastic people along the way. I've met some I'd rather forget. But there are two people that stand out above the rest. I met them in Rio's, now known as Club 23 (at least I haven't been around long enough to have known it as Wings) and they have been there for through thick and thin ever since. When I saw them I thought "These are my type of people". I bet when they saw me they thought "What's this drunken, college tart up to?" But never-the-less, they tolerated my annoying presence.
Two years passed and we had lost touch. Till one (yet another) night on the turps at Daly Waters. I was greeted immediately by warm hugs and big smiles from Shorty and Stace.
Ever since they have been there in my life. Shorty providing me with a roof over my head and food in my belly whenever I have needed it and she's never been afraid of giving me a kick up the arse when I needed it either. And Stace is the best mate by my side here in the NT. Alcohol fuelled nights and lunches wherein I miss my plane and not to mention the countless rodeos.
So I raise my glass of my now non-alcoholic beverage to two special people: To Shorty and Stace. The Cowgirls Mama and the Rodeo Queen. Love yas!

No comments:

Post a Comment